TROPICAL CYCLONE BULLETIN NO. 19 Super Typhoon “#KardingPH”
TROPICAL CYCLONE BULLETIN NO. 19
Super Typhoon “#KardingPH” (NORU)
Issued at 8:00 PM, 25 September 2022
Valid for broadcast until the next bulletin at 11:00 PM today
SUPER TYPHOON “KARDING” SLIGHTLY WEAKENS AS IT ABOUT TO MAKE LANDFALL IN THE VICINITY OF GENERAL NAKAR-DINGALAN AREA
•Location of Center (7:00 PM)
The center of the eye of Super Typhoon KARDING was estimated based on all available data including those from Daet, Baler, and Tagaytay Doppler Weather Radars over the coastal waters of General Nakar, Quezon (15.1°N, 121.7°E)
Maximum sustained winds of 185 km/h near the center, gustiness of up to 255 km/h, and central pressure of 925 hPa
Westward at 20 km/h
•Extent of Tropical Cyclone Winds
Strong to typhoon-force winds extend outwards up to 290 km from the center
TROPICAL CYCLONE WIND SIGNALS (TCWS) IN EFFECT
TCWS No. 5
>Wind threat: Typhoon-force winds
>Warning lead time: 12 hours
>Potential impacts of winds: Extreme threat to life and property
Polillo Islands, the extreme northern portion of Quezon (the northern and central portions of General Nakar, the northeastern portion of Infanta), the extreme southern portion of Aurora (Dingalan), the extreme southern portion of Nueva Ecija (General Tinio, City of Gapan, Peñaranda, San Isidro, Cabiao), the eastern portion of Pampanga (Arayat, Candaba, Santa Ana, San Luis), the eastern and central portions of Bulacan (San Rafael, Angat, Norzagaray, Doña Remedios Trinidad, San Ildefonso, San Miguel), and the extreme northern portion of Rizal (Rodriguez)
TCWS No. 4
>Wind threat: Typhoon-force winds
>Warning lead time: 12 hours
>Potential impacts of winds: Significant to severe threat to life and property
Calaguas Islands, the southern portion of Aurora (San Luis, Baler, Maria Aurora), the central and southern portions of Nueva Ecija (Cuyapo, Nampicuan, Guimba, Licab, Zaragoza, San Antonio, San Leonardo, Jaen, Santa Rosa, Palayan City, Gabaldon, Laur, Cabanatuan City, Aliaga, Quezon, Santo Domingo, Talavera, Llanera, General Mamerto Natividad, Rizal, Bongabon, Talugtug, Science City of Muñoz), Tarlac, the rest of Pampanga, the rest of Bulacan, Zambales, the northern portion of Bataan (Dinalupihan, Hermosa, Morong, Orani, Samal, Abucay), the southern portion of Pangasinan (Bautista, Alcala, Bayambang, Mangatarem, Urbiztondo, Aguilar, Bugallon, Infanta, Dasol, Burgos, Mabini, Labrador), the northern portion of Metro Manila (Marikina, Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, Valenzuela, and Quezon City), the northern and central portions of Rizal (City of Antipolo, Tanay, San Mateo, Baras), and the extreme northern portion of Laguna (Famy, Siniloan, Santa Maria, Pangil)
TCWS No. 3
>Wind threat: Storm-force winds
>Warning lead time: 18 hours
>Potential impacts of winds: Moderate to significant threat to life and property
The central portion of Aurora (Dipaculao), the southeastern portion of Nueva Vizcaya (Alfonso Castaneda, Dupax del Sur, Dupax del Norte), the rest of Nueva Ecija, the rest of Bataan, the rest of Pangasinan, the rest of Metro Manila, the rest of Rizal, the northern and central portions of Laguna (Mabitac, Pakil, Paete, Kalayaan, Lumban, Cavinti, Pagsanjan, Luisiana, Majayjay, Magdalena, Santa Cruz, Pila, Liliw, Nagcarlan, Victoria, Rizal, City of San Pedro, City of Biñan, City of Santa Rosa, Cabuyao City, City of Calamba, Los Baños, Bay, Calauan), the northern and central portions of Cavite (Tanza, Rosario, Noveleta, Kawit, Imus City, Bacoor City, City of Dasmariñas, Carmona, Gen. Mariano Alvarez, Silang, Amadeo, City of General Trias, Trece Martires City, Naic, Indang), the rest of the northern portion of Quezon (Infanta, Real, General Nakar, Mauban), and the northern portion of Camarines Norte (Vinzons, Paracale, Jose Panganiban, Capalonga)
TCWS No. 2
>Wind threat: Gale-force winds
>Warning lead time: 24 hours
>Potential impacts of winds: Minor to moderate threat to life and property
The southern portion of Isabela (Dinapigue, San Guillermo, Echague, San Agustin, Jones), Quirino, the rest of Nueva Vizcaya, Benguet, La Union, the rest of Aurora, the rest of Cavite, Batangas, the rest of Laguna, the central portion of Quezon (Calauag, Perez, Alabat, Quezon, Tagkawayan, Guinayangan, Sampaloc, Lucban, City of Tayabas, Lucena City, Pagbilao, Padre Burgos, Atimonan, Agdangan, Unisan, Plaridel, Gumaca, Lopez, Pitogo, Dolores, Candelaria, Sariaya, Tiaong, San Antonio, Macalelon, General Luna, Catanauan, Buenavista), the rest of Camarines Norte, the northern portion of Camarines Sur (Del Gallego, Ragay, Lupi, Sipocot, Libmanan, Pamplona, Pasacao, San Fernando, Pili, Minalabac, Ocampo, Tigaon, Cabusao, Magarao, Gainza, Canaman, Camaligan, Milaor, Naga City, Bombon, Calabanga, Tinambac, Siruma, Goa, Lagonoy, San Jose, Garchitorena, Presentacion, Caramoan, Sagñay), and Catanduanes
TCWS No. 1
>Wind threat: Strong winds
>Warning lead time: 36 hours
>Potential impacts of winds: Minimal to minor threat to life and property
The southern portion of Cagayan (Tuao, Solana, Enrile, Tuguegarao City, Iguig, Peñablanca), the rest of Isabela, the southern portion of Apayao (Conner), Kalinga, Abra, Mountain Province, Ifugao, the southern portion of Ilocos Norte (Nueva Era, Badoc, Pinili, Banna, City of Batac, Currimao, Paoay, Marcos), Ilocos Sur, the rest of Quezon, the northern portion of Occidental Mindoro (Abra de Ilog, Paluan, Mamburao, Santa Cruz) including Lubang Islands, the northern portion of Oriental Mindoro (Puerto Galera, San Teodoro, Baco, City of Calapan, Naujan, Victoria, Pola, Socorro, Pinamalayan), Marinduque, the rest of Camarines Sur, Albay, Sorsogon, Burias Island and Ticao Island
HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND AREAS
• Tonight through tomorrow early morning: Heavy to intense with at times torrential rains over Metro Manila, Zambales, Bataan, Tarlac, Pampanga, Nueva Ecija, Bulacan, Aurora, Rizal, and the northern portion of Quezon including Polillo Islands. Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Benguet, Ifugao, Mountain Province, Pangasinan, Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, the central portion of Quezon, Occidental Mindoro and Camarines Norte. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains over Oriental Mindoro, Marinduque, and the rest of CALABARZON and Bicol Region.
• Tomorrow early morning through early afternoon: Heavy to intense with at times torrential rains over Zambales, Bataan, Pampanga, and Bulacan. Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains Metro Manila, Pangasinan, Cavite, Occidental Mindoro, and the rest of Central Luzon. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains over Mountain Province, Ifugao, Benguet, Quirino, Nueva Vizcaya, Oriental Mindoro, and the rest of CALABARZON.
• Under these conditions, widespread flooding and rain-induced landslides are expected, especially in areas that are highly or very highly susceptible to these hazard as identified in hazard maps and in localities with significant antecedent rainfall.
• Due to the Southwest Monsoon, occasional to monsoon rains over Palawan, Western Visayas and Zamboanga Peninsula. For more information, refer to the 24-Hour Public Weather Forecast issued at 4:00 PM today and Weather Advisory #1 for Southwest Monsoon issued at 1:30 PM today.
During the passage of KARDING, areas under Wind Signal No. 4 and No.5 will experience winds peaking at typhoon-force strength, while winds may reach storm-force in strength within any of the areas where Wind Signal No. 3 is hoisted. Gale-force conditions are likely any of the areas where Wind Signal no.2 is hoisted, while strong winds (strong breeze to near gale strength) will be experienced within any of the areas where Wind Signal No. 1 is currently in effect.
There is a high to very high risk of storm surge more than 3.0 m in height in the low-lying and exposed coastal areas of northern Quezon including Polillo Islands and Aurora. In addition, a moderate to high risk of storm surge is also possible over Camarines Norte, Pangasinan, Zambales, Bulacan, the northern portion of Metro Manila, the southern portion of La Union, and the rest of Quezon. The combined effects of storm surge and high waves breaking along the coast may cause life-threatening and damaging inundation or flooding. For more information, refer to Storm Surge Warning #3 issued at 5:00 PM today.
HAZARDS AFFECTING COASTAL WATERS
Under the influence of KARDING, a marine gale warning remains in effect over the seaboards of Luzon. For more information, refer to Gale Warning #5 issued at 5:00 PM today.
TRACK AND INTENSITY OUTLOOK
• Super Typhoon KARDING made landfall in the vicinity of Burdeos, Quezon at 5:30 PM today. This super typhoon is forecast to track generally westward in the next 6 hours, then west northwestward for the remainder of the day. On the forecast track, KARDING will likely make landfall in the vicinity of General Nakar or Dingalan tonight.
• For the remainder of this evening post-landfall through tomorrow early morning, KARDING will traverse the landmass of Central Luzon and emerge over the West Philippine Sea via the coastal waters of Zambales or Pangasinan. The typhoon will then continue tracking generally west northwestward to westward over the West Philippine Sea for the remainder of the forecast period.
• KARDING is forecast to maintain its strength prior to its landfall. Frictional effects during landfall and traverse of the Luzon landmass will weaken KARDING throughout the evening through tomorrow early morning, although it is highly likely that this tropical cyclone will remain a typhoon while crossing the landmass.
Considering these developments, the public and disaster risk reduction and management offices concerned are advised to take all necessary measures to protect life and property. Persons living in areas identified to be highly or very highly susceptible to these hazards are advised to follow evacuation and other instructions from local officials. For heavy rainfall warnings, thunderstorm/rainfall advisories, and other severe weather information specific to your area, please monitor products issued by your local PAGASA Regional Services Division.
The next tropical cyclone bulletin will be issued at 11:00 PM today.